Beauty, Fashion, Recipes, DIY Projects, and More: All for the Busy and Budgeted.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Skincare Product Reviews

Okay! So I have a bunch of skin care product samples (given to me by friends, stores, or birchbox) that I have decided to review on this here blog. Explanation over, let's get to it!

VASANTI "BrightenUp!" Exfoliating Cleanser




A Bit About It:

This was given to me by my lovely friend Nikki who gifted me a bunch of samples to try out and review for my birthday! It is "enriched with papaya, micro-crystals, and aloe." It claims to "dramatically improve your skin's texture to reveal softer, brighter, and younger looking skin."

Pros:
  • It felt super cool. Like, it felt the way I imagine rubbing kinetic sand on your face would feel. I can't really explain it any other way.
  • I had like no acne while I was using it. Which is impressive enough for your average day, but the no acne phenomenon became more of a phenomenon because it kept me acne free even throughout my period. (Which, let's be real, because your hormone levels are off while you're menstruating, it's pretty common for women to break out kind of badly then. I usually do. But I didn't! It was crazy.)
  • It didn't smell like anything. Which is great because sometimes you use a face wash and it smells like hospitals or glue or sweat and chlorine. 
  • It really did make my skin feel softer. 

Cons:
  • I'm not really sure it "brightened up" my face. And since it is called "BrightenUp!" I feel like that's the one thing it really should do. 
  • It didn't smell like anything. Which is a bummer because sometimes you use a face wash and it smells like fruit or bubblegum or Hilary Duff or 2003. 
  • It didn't reduce any discolorations. I know it didn't claim that it would, but... Well, I have red-splotched-scarred-skin and am trying to even out my skin tone. So, I was just a little bummed that it didn't. As I am a little bummed whenever anything doesn't help even out my skin tone. 
  • It's $34.00 for 4.23 oz of face wash. I know that's not TERRIBLE, but it's also not GREAT and I'm borderline broke so I'm going to have to put that price on my con-list. 
  • It possibly compliant in a weird allergic reaction I had that caused my lips to swell up and get tight and kind of burn. But then again, that could have been something else. It occurred right at the end of my Vasanti BrightenUp! trial period. 
Rose Hips Black Soap Deep Pore Facial Cleanser




A Bit About It: 

I got this stuff in one of the last Birchboxes I ever received. Birchbox is an awesome way to try out new products that are too pricey for you to buy just HOPING that it'll work for you. It's also nice to get those little sample size things that you can bring with you traveling. Anyway. This came in a Birchbox, but then I discontinued my Birchbox subscription to save money. 

Pros:
  • It kind of feels like it's stabbing your pores when you use it. I love skincare products that hurt. But who knows, that might not be your thing.
  • My skin was slightly better than "usual"...
Cons: 
  • My skin was way worse than it was when I using the Vasanti BrightenUp! stuff. WAY WORSE. So that super bummed me out. 
  • It looks like a weird putrid slime that you're coating your face in.
  • It smells like old people and decay. 
Masque Bar: Anti-Blemish Mud Mask





A Bit About It:

My lovely friend Sarah gave me this and some other stuff to try out for my birthday. It is supposed to soothe irritated skin and leave skin feeling calm and looking clear. So that's cool. 

Pros: 
  • Mud masks are fun. That's just a fact. There's a reason that they're featured in like every movie teenage girl sleepover ever. 
  • It contains tea tree which, as we all know, is incredibly good for your skin. 
  • It makes your skin feel nice and soft and smooth after you take it off.
  • It's opaque, which is nice because when I wear mud masks, I like to take pictures like this:
Cons: 
  • It didn't really prevent or reduce any breaking out, but I guess it's possible you would have to use it more regularly--every couple weeks or so--in order for it to be effective. 
Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser


A Bit About It:

Okay, I got this from a magazine. Clearly. It came with a one day free trial thing and a coupon for $3.00 off or something like that, so I ended up buying the stuff. Don't read that as a recommendation too eagerly, though. I'd only had a one-time sample size to use before buying it.

Pros:
  • It really seems to draw out junk from your pores, which is cool.
  • I honestly can't think of any other pros, but that "draws junk out of your pores" one is pretty top notch, I think.
Cons:
  • It hurts like a mother. Seriously, you know me. My skincare philosophy is "if it doesn't hurt a little it isn't working" but my goodness this stuff makes me want to sob. It's like torture. Egad.
  • The smell gives me the sensation of sucking on really gross cough drops. I can't explain it, but if you use it I'm sure you'll understand. 
  • It's the color of granite. It doesn't look like granite when it's all on your face and stuff and I get that it's made out of charcoal but it's still hella weird.
  • My face has recently began flaking off. I can't prove that it's related to this face cleanser. But still, it's unfortunate.
How do I end these things? Do I, like, make some sort of decision? Or do I just? I'm not sure. Skincare products. They exist. Woohoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment