Beauty, Fashion, Recipes, DIY Projects, and More: All for the Busy and Budgeted.

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Get Ready With Me: Holiday Glam

Earlier this season I was toying with a kind of festive "party" look that wouldn't be over the top (as so many are) and this is what I came up with!


All right, well, to start, I used Clindamycin Phosphate Lotion as a moisturizer (it's prescription, I recently broke out a bit and wanted to get that in check) and touched up some acne bits with benzoyl preoxide gel (there are really mixed reviews on whether or not you should use this for cystic acne, but a friend of mine suggested it, and I think it's really been helping me). For my primer, I used ALMAY Smart Shade Luminous Primer WHICH I think I like better than the ALMAY Smart Shade Perfect & Correct. It kind of reminds me of the Dr. Brandt "pores no more" Pore Refiner which, as you may remember, I was OBSESSED with (but way too poor to purchase). 

Then, I used NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer to cover up any blemishes, discolorations, or complexion flaws haunting me. I REALLY like this stuff. It kind of reminds me of clay for some reason. For my liquid foundation, I mixed together NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat liquid foundation with Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free liquid foundation. I don't know how people generally feel about the "mixing two foundations" thing, but the Neutrogena stuff is runny and too light and the NYX stuff is too heavy and dark, so mixed together they worked really well for me. 

Anyway, I topped that all off with Maybelline Shine Free Loose Powder. I think it's kind of underwhelming, but it works. Man, oh man, I just wish I still had that Tarte Amazonian Clay finishing powder. But alas. I used it all. And I don't have the funds for $30+ foundations. Siiiigh. Anyway!


For my eyes I used basically everything I own. Just kidding. But I usually JUST do one layer of mascara and skip on the eyeshadow (because ugh time right?) so this is WAAAY more than what I normally do. Okay, so I started off with LORAC eyelid primer. Then, I used bareMinerals "Ice Queen" all over my lids from my lashes to my brows. Then, I used 


Okay, so then, to really party it up, I used TWO blushes. "That's excessive," you say. Quietly, I agree. Okay, so first, I like to use NYC Cheek Glow Powder Blush by dusting it over my cheek bones in an upwards angle, true Deanna Troi fashion (though, admittedly, it's quite a bit more muted in color than Deanna Troi would rock.) Next, I used Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Mineral Blush by grinning and then swooping it around on the apples of my cheeks.


For my hair, I sometimes like to do the milkmaid braids paired with a golden, braided headband. It's a pretty simple hair style but looks really nice. So, I start by parting my hair in the middle (or middleish, my part just doesn't really like being in the middle. It does everything it can to avoid it) and then put it into two, low pigtails. Then, I did a simple, standard braid on each side. Then I just kind of twisted and flipped them upward, and held them in place with a TON of bobbypins. Then, I slipped on the gold braided headband and hairsprayed the crap out of my hair.


This is the finished hair product. There's still a BIT more I do for the entire look. Starting with...


Lips. (Okay, you can tell from the picture on the right that I actually changed before doing my lips. But, whatever. Okay, so, I've been using this Cake Batter ChapStick to moisturize my lips and I REALLY like it. It's so yummy. Then, for my lip color, I used NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam!


Finally, clothes! As it turns out, you have to wear them. EVEN during the holiday season. I know, I know, Gasp. So, I picked my green tights (Target), this little black dress I've had for eons (no clue where it's from), this set of fake-diamond necklace and earrings (Macy's), and my new favorite tall black boots (Payless). The dress and earrings have a proper party feel to them, the green tights kick in a bit of holiday spirit, and the boots are my hands down favorite shoes for the time being so they throw in a bit of comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment